Is Medify Air MA-50 really that good?
This is precisely what we are going to look at. Obviously, Medify air purifiers are one of the best on the market. We are going to review how well does Medify MA-50 perform. This will include a precise spec-by-spec analysis and comparison, including checking the advanced H13 filters, measuring CADR rating, and calculating the coverage levels at 2 ACH and 5 ACH.
As we will see in this Medify MA-50 review, a lot of positive performance specs are built upon superb H13 HEPA filters and a large 4-sided air intake. This is the key combination that can bring the MA-50 CADR rating to as high as 300 CFM.
You can use these navigation helpers to check anything in particular, like the filtration system, CADR rating, available Medify Air MA-50 sales, and so on:
- Medify MA 50 Filters
- Medify MA 50 CADR Rating
- Medify MA 50 Square Footage
- Medify MA 50 Wattage
- Medify MA 50 Noise Levels
- Medify MA 50 Special Features
- Medify MA 50 Price
- Medify MA 50 Sale
- Medify MA 50 Final Verdict
Medify MA-50 Air Purifier Review At-A-Glance
Medify MA-50 Specifications
|Max. Coverage Area:||2026 sq ft (2 ACH)|
|Coverage Area At 5 ACH:||810 sq ft (5 ACH)|
|CADR Rating:||300 CFM (276 CFM Smoke CADR, 322 CFM Pollen CADR, 271 CFM Dust CADR)|
|Fan Speeds:||4 speeds|
|Filters:||H13 HEPA Filters|
|Filter Lifespan:||2,500 Hour (3-4 Months 24/7 Use)|
|Power Output:||Up T0 70 Watts|
|Noise Levels:||From 35 dB To 56 dB|
|Dimensions:||9.9″ x 9.9″ x 21.3″
(H x W x D)
Medify MA-50 Filters (Highlight: H13 HEPA Filter)
When checking any air purifiers, filters are always the key to how good they are; the same is true for Medify MA-50 air purifier. In fact, a big reason why Medify air purifiers are considered one of the best is their advanced filtration system.
Namely, Medify MA-50 uses their celebrated 3 filter system, consisting of:
- Medify MA-50 pre-filter. The job of this pre-filter is to capture bigger air particulates like human hair, pet fluff and dander, and airborne fibers. By effectively removing these big particulates, it protects the all-important HEPA filter.
- Medify MA-50 HEPA filter (H13 or even H14). This is the filter that makes Medify MA-50 so great. Most air purifiers only use standard HEPA filters (rated H10, H11, or H12). Medify MA-50 uses advanced H13 HEPA filters (also called True HEPA or medical-grade HEPA filters) that can capture more than 99.9% of very small 0.1 micron in diameter air particulates such as smoke, dust, pollen, allergy-causing particulates, mites, mold spores, and so on.
- Medify MA-50 substantial carbon filter. Carbon filters are used to adsorb gaseous odors and smells like smoke smell, formaldehyde, kitchen smells (burnt oil), and so on. The key here is to use a big activated carbon filter that has as large a surface area where these VOCs (volatile organic compounds) can adsorb to the filter and be removed from indoor air. Medify MA-50 uses a substantial above-average size carbon filter that removes smells and VOCs exceptionally well.
You will see that all air purifiers use a pre-filter. Some might also use an above-average carbon filter. However, the key to understanding the great specs Medify MA-50 has, is the H13 HEPA filters (you can also get replacement H14 HEPA filters).
These filters have an above-average capability to capture standard 0.3 micron in size air particulates (capability is usually reflected in the CADR rating we are going to cover later on). What is even more important, Medify MA-50’s H13 HEPA filters much more thorough at removing smaller allergy-causing particles that are 0.1 micron in size or smaller.
This is where Medify MA-50 has a key advantage. If you compare Medify MA-50 to Honeywell HPA300 or even Coway Airmega AP-1512HH Mighty, both of these well-known air purifiers have inferior HEPA filters to Coway Medify MA-50. This is because Medify MA-50 uses H13 HEPA filters while Honeywell and Coway units employ the standard H12 HEPA filters.
Medify MA-50 replacement filters are sold in a 3-in-1 package. You don’t have to buy the pre-filter, HEPA filter, and carbon filter separately. You just get 1 filter package for Medify MA-50 and you’re done with it.
These filters last for 2500 operating hours. Here is how often you should replace Medify MA-50 air filters depending on the usage:
- Medify MA-50 running 4 hours per day: Filter replacement every 625 days (that’s almost 2 years).
- Medify MA-50 running 8 hours per day: Filter replacement every 313 days (that’s almost 1 year).
- Medify MA-50 running 12 hours per day: Filter replacement every 208 days (that’s about 7 months).
- Medify MA-50 running 24 hours per day: Filter replacement every 104 days (that’s 3 months and 14 days).
In short, if you run the air purifier all day every day 24/7, you will only need to replace the filters every 3 and a half months. If you use it 12 hours per day, the 2500 operating hours lifetime will extend the filter replacement to about 7 months. All in all, Medify MA-50 uses one of the longer-lasting filters.
Given the advanced HEPA filters, the price of a replacement filter is a bit higher, ranging from $70 for the H13 HEPA package to $90 for H14 HEPA (recommended for allergy-prone people). You can reduce that price by about 10% if you subscribe to their filter subscription program.
We are going to check other Medify MA-50 specs but it is important to keep in mind that the key to above-average specs Medify MA-50 has is the superb Medify H13 HEPA filter.
Medify MA-50 CADR Rating And Maximum Airflow
CADR rating is usually the first air purifier specification we should check. CADR stands for Clean Air Delivery Rate; this is a metric that tells you how much clean air can Medify MA-50 deliver.
Quite a lot actually. This purifier uses a 4-sided air intake to maximize the airflow. An average CADR rating for an air purifier is about 180 CFM. Medify MA-50M has an average CADR rating of 300 CFM; that’s quite a capable air purifier. Compared to a standard air purifier, Medify MA-50 has a 67% higher CADR rating.
Namely, CADR rating is a measure (tested and measured independently by AHAM) of how well a unit can remove 3 key air pollutants: smoke particles (with sizes between 0.9 and 1 microns), pollen particles (with sizes between 0.5 and 3 microns), and dust particles (with sizes between 5 and 111 microns).
Here are all the (with sizes between 0.9 and 1 microns) Medify Air MA-50 CADR ratings:
- Smoke CADR rating: 276 CFM.
- Pollen CADR rating: 322 CFM.
- Dust CADR rating: 271 CFM.
As you can see, Medify MA-50 is most effective for capturing pollen (322 CFM pollen CADR rating). Since pollen is the smallest of the measured particles (down to 0.5 microns), this tells you that Medify MA-50M is very effective at capturing very small air particles (invisible to the human eye).
There are particles that usually cause allergies and asthma, for example. We already know why Medify MA-50M is so effective at removing small air particulates, right?
It’s the H13 HEPA filter. These advanced filters are extremely effective at small-diameter particles. For example, if you compare Medify MA-50 vs H12 HEPA filter air purifier, you will see that the H12 HEPA filter air purifier has a considerably lower pollen CADR rating.
Obviously, the CADR rating also depends on the airflow. Bigger airflow equals a bigger CADR rating (if you have good HEPA filters).
Now, based on this CADR rating, we can determine the Medify MA-50’s coverage area:
Medify MA-50 Square Footage (Recommended Room Size)
The coverage area is determined by the CADR rating. Usually, we have these two different coverage areas:
- Coverage at 2 ACH. 2 ACH means 2 air changes per hour; with all the air being cleaned every 30 minutes. Medify MA-50 has a very large coverage area: Up to 1100 sq ft at 2 ACH at top speed.
- Coverage at 5 ACH. 2 ACH means 5 air changes per hour; with all the air being cleaned every 12 minutes. This is recommended for good ventilation and allergy-prone people. Medify MA-50 has a very large coverage area: Up to 440 sq ft at 5 ACH at top speed.
Medify MA-50 has 4 fan speed settings (Speed 1, 2, 3, and 4). Here are the calculated coverages for each speed:
|MA 50 Fan Speed||Airflow:||Coverage (2 ACH):||Coverage (5 ACH):|
|Speed 1:||41 CFM||150 sq ft||60 sq ft|
|Speed 2:||88 CFM||323 sq ft||129 sq ft|
|Speed 3:||171 CFM||627 sq ft||251 sq ft|
|Speed 4:||300 CFM||1100 sq ft||440 sq ft|
As you can see, Medify MA-50 is quite versatile as far as the size of the room you can put it in is concerned. You can adjust the speed to match your room size.
Based on how fast the Medify MA-50 fan is spinning, you will also see different power consumption:
Medify MA-50 Power Consumption (Wattage)
Air purifiers don’t use a lot of power. However, you should also check that the max. wattage doesn’t exceed 100W. Medify MA-50 runs on a top wattage of 70W. That is, compared to energy-efficient air purifiers, quite a lot.
Namely, Medify MA-50 requires a bit more power in order to push the air through finer H13 HEPA filters.
That means that the Medify MA-50 will use 0.07 kWh per running hour when operating at 100% output. This is about $0.01 per running hour if we take the US national average electricity cost of $0.1319/kWh into account.
Medify MA-50 Noise Levels
Because Medify MA-50 has to have a bit more powerful fan motor to create enough airflow and thereby pressure to filter air through fine H13 HEPA filters, it should have above-average noise levels. This is mostly the case with H13 HEPA air purifiers, including other Medify air purifiers.
Medify MA-50, however, has lower noise levels than most Medify air purifiers. This is because the surface area of H13 HEPA filters compared to the airflow is quite large. That means a lower pressure drop, a less powerful motor (comparatively), and lower noise levels.
When running at Speed 1, the Medify MA-50 is produce as little as 35 dB noise levels. At the highest fan speed setting – Speed 4 – the Medify MA-50 will produce 56 dB noise levels.
In many cases, when you see a 300 CFM CADR rated air purifier, you should expect 60+ decibel levels. If it includes advanced H13 HEPA filters, the noise levels are expected to be even higher.
That’s why the favorable HEPA filter surface area vs airflow ratio is quite useful for Medify MA-50. It runs very quietly and is one of the quietest Medify air purifiers.
Medify MA-50 Special Features
Medify MA-50 is also rich with special features. An air purifier is basically a combination of filters and a fan. To run it smoothly, it’s useful to have some extra features.
Namely, the extra features Medify Air MA-50 air purifier is equipped with are:
- 2-12 Hour Timer. This timer will allow for the air purifier to run for as little as 2 hours or as long as 12 hours. After the set time, the Medify MA-50 will stop running.
- Filter Indicator. This is a pretty useful feature. How do you actually tell that filters are dirty and you need to replace them? You could open the air purifier and look at the filters but looking is not measuring. Filter indicator measures how dirty filters are and will tell you when you have to look for Medify MA-40 replacement filters.
- Child Lock. Useful if you have kids or if you invite people with kids (protects both the kids as well as the air purifier).
- Sleep Mode. This is a low-running fan speed setting that causes low noise output, dims the lights, and makes sure you are breathing cleaner air when sleeping.
- Ozone-Free. This is not a feature but it is important to always point out that Medify air purifier don’t produce ozone. As we have talked about in several articles, ozone is not useful in air purifiers and it can be harmful to us.
According to several Medify MA-50 air purifier reviews, the most useful feature is the filter indicator.
Medify MA-50 Price
Medify is one of the bigger and most trustworthy brands in the air purifier industry. With the addition of the advanced H13 HEPA filters, it makes sense that the price tag of Medify MA-50 is higher than for a standard H10, H11, or H12 HEPA air purifier, especially since it has a 300 CFM CADR rating.
Regular price of Medify Air MA-50 is $449. This is not the price you should buy the unit, however. That’s because Medify runs quite a lot of promotions that reduce the price of their best-selling MA-50 unit. Here’s more on that:
The standard price of this air purifier is $449.
However, you can find Medify MA-50 sale promotions that will reduce its price by $100 and more. Also be aware that you can save 10% on filter replacements if you subscribe to their filter subscription program.
Here is the official Medify Air store where you can buy the MA-50 on sale:
Final Verdict On Medify MA-50
All in all, MA-50 includes all the advantages Medify air purifiers are known for. That includes the all-important advanced H13 HEPA filters, a large airflow (due to 4-sided air intake), and a very high CADR rating (300 CFM, to be exact).
At 2 ACH, it has a coverage area of 1100 sq ft. At 5 ACH, it has a coverage area of up to 440 sq ft. This just tells you how powerful it actually is at AHAM-tested airborne pollutant-reducing levels. On top of that, it can trap even the very small 0.1 micron in diameter airborne particles with the medical-grade H13 HEPA filters.
What you should look out for, however, are the noise levels. Medify air purifiers tend to be on the noisier side (their only drawback). Luckily, the MA-50 model is one of the quieter models, using large-surface HEPA filters and 4-sided take to reduce noise levels below 56 dB.
If you can find it on sale, you are basically paying less than $400 for a 300 CFM CADR rated air purifier. This is superb price-performance for one of the best middle-sized air purifiers on the market.
Overall Medify MA-50 rating: