HVAC stands for Heating, Air Conditioning, and Ventilation. We have covered the heating and air conditioner parts in the respective ‘Heating’ and ‘Air Conditioning’ sections on LearnMetrics.
However, everybody who wants to understand specifications or just learn how to solve some of the basic HVAC problems will find this general HVAC section useful.
There are a million questions that need answering in HVAC. Nobody can possibly address all of them. Here at LearnMetrics, we try to answer the most common ones to help everybody with a better understanding of HVAC.
One of the basics of general HVAC is simple unit conversion. We deal with BTUs, watts, volts, amps, Ah, Wh, °F, °C, CFM, kW, hp, EER, SEER, CEER ratings, and so forth. In most cases, these are either metric or US standard units; in some cases, we use formulas to convert from a specific rating to another specific rating.
To help you out, we have designed some unit converters and calculators. We’ll start with these but you will find some very useful resources such as mold mediation, ductwork, and so forth that pertain to general HVAC and can be useful both in heating, air conditioning, and ventilation systems.
General Unit Converters
- Watts To Amps Converter (With 120V, 220V Examples)
- Convert Amps To Watts (A to W): Simple Calculator (+ Conversion Chart)
- Watts To Volts Converter (W to V): Calculator + Conversion Chart
- Convert kW To Amps: Kilowatt Ampere Calculator + 3 Examples
- Convert kVA To kW With Power Factor (+ Easy Calculator)
- 3-Phase Power Calculator + Formula (kW To Amps, Amps To kW)
- kVa To Amps Calculator: How To Convert kVa To Amps? (Examples)
- Convert Watts To BTU: Calculator + Conversion Chart (1 W = 3.412 BTU)
- Convert BTU To Watt: Calculator + Conversion Chart (1 BTU = 0.293 W)
- BTU To kW Air Conditioning Calculator (Quick + Easy Converter)
- kW To BTU Calculator: Convert kW To BTU
- Meter Cube Per Hour To CFM Conversion (m3/hr to cfm)
- Amp Hours To Watt Hours Conversion (Ah To Wh): Calculator + Chart
- Watt Hours To Amp Hours Conversion (Wh To Ah): Calculator + Chart
- BTU to Ton (Easy Convert: 12,000 BTU = 1 Ton)
- Convert m3 To kWh (Gas Cubic Meter To kWh Calculator)
- Convert Kilowatts To Horsepower (kW to HP Calculator)
- Convert Celsius To Fahrenheit (°C to °F): Calculator, Chart, Equation
HVAC Ratings Converters
- Convert EER To SEER Rating (Calculator + Chart)
- Convert SEER To EER (Calculator + Chart)
- Convert EER To COP And COP To EER (Calculator)
General HVAC Calculators
- Power Consumption Calculator And Electrical Bill (+ 2 Examples)
- BTU Calculator: How BTU Is Calculated DIY? (With 8.5% Accuracy)
- Is Natural Gas Cheaper Than Electricity For Heating?
- Specific Heat Capacity Calculator + Formula (Equation C = Q /(m ⨉ ΔT))
General HVAC Specifications Explained
- Understanding COP: Coefficient Of Performance Of Heat Pumps
- HSPF Rating: What Is A Good HSPF Rating For Heat Pumps?
- What Temperature Should I Set My Thermostat In The Winter? (72°F?)
- What Size Generator Do I Need? (Simple 3-Step Method + Calculator)
- What Size Generator To Run Refrigerator And Freezer? (Crucial: Starting Watts)
- How Much Does It Cost To Run A Generator On Natural Gas? (Calculator)
- 5 Quietest Generators For Home, RV, And Camping (Below 50.7 dB)
- How Long Will A Generator Run On 5 Gallons Of Gas? (Calculator)
- HVAC Duct Sizing Chart (50-3,050 CFM Duct Charts)
- Duct Velocity Calculator (Air Velocity = Airflow / Duct Cross-Section)
- 4 Best HVAC UV Lights For AC/Furnaces (No Mold + Keep Efficiency)
- Mold Inspection And Testing: When Do You Really Need $500+ Inspection?
- Wire Gauge Chart For All 44 AWG Wires (+10-200 Amp Wire Sizes)
- Thermostat Wiring
- How Many Outlets On A 20-Amp Circuit?