Air conditioning is a process that primarily utilizes electricity to decrease the temperature of indoor air. 84% of all homes in the US have some kind of air conditioner. Air conditioners are an essential part of almost every home.
HVAC stands for Heating, Air Conditioning, And Ventilation. Air conditioners are a major part of HVAC and include ventilation (even distribution of adequately conditioned air) as well.
In this ‘Air Conditioning’ segment, we primarily cover all types of air conditioners. The most common types are mini-split, portable, window, and central air conditioners. On top of that, we also cover evaporative cool and fans which facilitates ventilation.
Mini-Split Air Conditioners
Mini-split AC units are a ductless AC type. These are split-system units consisting of 1 outdoor unit (contains the compressor) and 1 or several indoor units, commonly referred to as air handlers.
They are very energy-efficient, quiet, and the best alternative to ducted central air conditioners. Here are some resources we have on mini-split air conditioners and heat pumps:
- 7 Best Ductless Mini Split AC Units With Highest SEER Ratings
- Best Dual Zone Mini Split Systems In 2021 (2 Heads + 1 Generator)
- Best 3 Zone Mini Split Systems In 2021 (Senville, Mitsubishi, etc.)
- Best 4 Zone Mini Split Systems In 2021 (Mitsubishi, Daikin etc.)
- Best 5 Zone Mini Split Systems In 2021 (Mitsubishi, Carrier, etc.)
- Mr COOL DIY Mini Split Review: Pros And Cons (2021)
- Senville Mini Split Reviews: Best 4 Units Compared & Rated
- Daikin Mini Split Reviews (Specs Comparison Of 26 Daikin AC Units)
- 5 Best Mini-Split Line Set Cover Kits (DIY Hide 3″-5″ AC Lines)
Heat pumps work both as air conditioners and as heaters. By reversing the flow of refrigerant, they can provide both cooling (in the summer) and heating (in the winter).
- 12 Best Mini Split Heat Pumps In 2021 (Based On Specs)
- What Size Heat Pump Do I Need? Heat Pump Size Calculator
Portable Air Conditioners
Portable AC units are the easiest ones to use and move around. They are becoming increasingly popular because they can provide a cooling effect for a room, or can be utilized as an auxiliary air conditioning unit during summer heatwaves.
Most portable AC units can also be used in the winter for heating. By reversing the flow of refrigerant, portable air conditioners can produce a heating output. They are very affordable compared to mini-split AC units or central air, and as price and specs-wise in the same category as window air conditioners.
Here are useful resources about portable air conditioners:
- 12 Most Energy-Efficient Portable Air Conditioners In 2021 (Based On EER)
- How Do A Portable Air Conditioners Work? (Easily Explained)
- How To Vent A Portable Air Conditioner Without A Window: 5 Ways
- 5 Quietest Portable Air Conditioners In 2021 (Under 53.2 dB)
- 5 Cheapest Portable Air Conditioners In 2021 (In Stock; Selling Fast)
- 5 Best Dual-Hose Portable AC Units In 2021 (Comparison, Reviews)
- 5 Best Portable Air Conditioner And Heater Combos (2-In-1 Units)
- 3+1 Best Window Seal For Portable AC Unit Kits (DIY Installation)
- 4 Best Portable Air Conditioners For Apartment (Studio, 1-Bed, 2-Bed)
- 4 Biggest Portable Air Conditioners (With 14,000+ BTU Capacity)
Window Air Conditioners
Window air conditioners are mounted on the window sill. They provide up to 25,000 BTU of cooling effect, are fairly easy to install (you can DIY window AC installation), and don’t require a lot of maintenance.
They are very useful especially for smaller rooms since they are the only ones that can produce only 5,000 BTU of cooling effect. There are several different kinds of window air conditioners, you will find even some new designs in our summary of resources on window AC units here:
- 9 Best Window AC Units Based On Specs (+ Quick Buyer’s Guide)
- 8 Smallest Air Conditioners For Small Room (10×10, 12×12, 14×14)
- 9 Quietest Window AC Units In 2021 (Down To 38.9 dB Noise)
- 5 Best Casement/Vertical AC Units For Sliding Windows (2021)
- 3+4 New Saddle Air Conditioners Explained (Over-The-Sill AC Units)
- 5 Best Window AC Units With Heat In 2021 (2-In-1 Combos)
- 7 Most Energy-Efficient Window AC Units (Under $149,32/Year Cost)
- 3 Best Low Profile Window Air Conditioners (80% Height Reduction)
- 4 Biggest Window Air Conditioners For Large Rooms (24,000+ BTU)
- 4 Best Window AC Support Brackets (Brackets For Air Conditioner)
- 5000 BTU Air Conditioner Room Size: How Many Square Feet?
Central Air Conditioners
Central air is a whole-house air conditioning system. These are the old-school ducted system that are currently being replaced by ductless-mini split AC units. Central air AC units are still the most powerful units (cooling output is measured in tons, rather than BTUs), but they are very expensive, require additional ductwork, and need professional installation.
Here are our resources about central air conditioners:
- 9 Best Central Air Conditioner Brands: Cost Of 2-5 Ton Units
- AC Tonnage Calculator Per Square Foot (+Tonnage Table)
- What Size Generator To Run 5 Ton AC Unit?
Air Conditioner Problems And Repairs
- AC Not Working: 9 Steps How To Fix AC (By HVAC Technician)
- AC Short Cycling: What It Is And 5 Ways How To Solve It Now
- AC Blowing Hot Air: What’s Wrong? 6 Common Causes & Fixes For AC Warm Air
- AC Not Blowing Cold Air (But Running): 8 Common Causes + Fixes
- 4 Best HVAC UV Lights For AC/Furnaces (No Mold + Keep Efficiency)
- Window AC Unit Leaking Water: 6 Most Common Causes (+ DIY fixes)
- AC Making Noise: 5 Air Conditioner Noises + How To Fix Them
- How To Recharge A Window AC Unit? (10-Step Freon Refill)
- R410A PT Chart: Pressure Temperature Chart For 410A Refrigerant
Useful Air Conditioning Resources (+ Other Kinds Of AC Units)
- 10 Types Of Air Conditioners Explained (With Pictures, Prices)
- How Many BTU Air Conditioner Do You Need? (BTU Calculator)
- How Many BTU Per Square Foot Do I Need? (20 BTU Per Sq Ft)
- How Much Does It Cost to Run An Air Conditioner (Per Hour)?
- Understanding EER: What Is A Good EER Rating For AC?
- Understanding CEER Rating: AC Energy-Efficiency (+ CEER Chart)
- Air Conditioner EER Chart: Which AC Unit Is The Most Energy Efficient?
- How Long Do AC Units Last? (Window, Portable, Mini-Split, Central)
- How Many Amps Does A 5,000 – 18,000 BTU Conditioner Use?
- How Big A Generator Do I Need To Run A 5000 BTU Air Conditioner?
- 6 Best Through-The-Wall Air Conditioners In 2021 (In-Wall AC Units)
- What Is The Highest BTU Air Conditioner For 110/120 Volts?
- Garage Air Conditioners: How To Cool Garage In Over 100°F Heat?
- AC Compressor Replacement Costs In 2021 ($700 to $3,400)
- 1 Best Battery-Powered Air Conditioner: Shocking, Zeisty Truth
- Zero Breeze Mark 2 Review: Battery-Powered Portable AC Gawk
- 4 Best Tent Air Conditioners For Camping (Truth About Tent Cooling)
- 5 Best RV Air Conditioners In 2021 (15,000 BTU Rooftop)
- 3 Best Low Profile Window Air Conditioners (80% Height Reduction)
- 6 Best 8,000 BTU Air Conditioners For 250-400 Sq Ft Spaces
- 6 Best 10,000 BTU Air Conditioners For 300-500 Sq Ft Spaces
- 6 Best 12,000 BTU Air Conditioners For 400-600 Sq Ft
- Rebates For New Air Conditioning Units 2021 (+10% Tax Deductibles)
- BTU Calculator: How BTU Is Calculated DIY? (With 8.5% Accuracy)
- SEER Rating Calculator: Easy-To-Use AC Running Costs Estimate
- SEER Rating Chart + Calculator (How Much $ Saved With Higher SEER?)
- 16 SEER vs 14 SEER: Which AC Unit Is Better?
Evaporative Coolers (Ventless Air Conditioners)
- 5 Best Evaporative Coolers (Swamp Coolers) In 2021: Reviewed & Rated
- 5 Best Ventless Air Conditioners In 2021: Venting Not Required
- 5 Best Mini Portable Air Conditioners In 2021 (Personal Air Coolers, Actually)
- 4 Best Outdoor Air Conditioners For Patios, Decks, etc. (2021)
We are adding new content about air conditioners continuously. Our goal is to inform everybody how air conditioners work, how to adequately size them, and which specific air conditioners are the best for specific uses or based on a certain specification (like EER, SEER, noise levels, and so on).