Let’s face it: Space heaters can be clunky big lumps of cheap plastics. For personal use or to heat a small room or office, you don’t need a big heater. More and more people are looking just for a good small electric heater for colder days.
Here’s the deal: We created a list of the 8 best small electric heaters in 2023. The key question we wanted to address is this:
Which is the best small heater?
First of all, we have to figure out what ‘small’ actually means when it comes to heaters. Here are 5 ways we can look at what a small heater actually is (we accounted for all of them as you can see in the spec-by-spec comparison table below):
- Heating Output: Wattage, BTUs. We’re specs-based guys and as far as space heaters are concerned, wattage (or electric power input) is the basic spec. It tells you how much heat will a heater produce. Even if you want a small heater, you still want to get as much heating output, right? In a sense, the best small heaters are not the ones that produce the least amount of heat.
- Small Dimensions. It’s pretty obvious that small heaters should be, well, small as far as dimensions are concerned. You can easily find 1000s of 20x20x20 inch heaters; those are the clunky big heaters. We filtered all those out and focused on analyzing small electric heaters with up to 10x10x10 inch dimensions. In fact, the smallest mini heaters on the market have an equivalent of 5x5x5 inch dimensions.
- Volume. Even small room heaters can be tall or wide (1 dimension is exaggerated a bit). To account for that, we calculate the full volume of even the smallest portable heaters. That’s how we can adequately compare which space heaters are actually the smallest. Example: Even 10x10x10 inch heaters have a total volume of 1,000 sq inches; that’s too big. We found the best mini heaters will up to only 250 sq inches total volume.
- Compact: Power Per Sq Inch. Once we figure out which space heaters are the smallest, we also have to check if they produce an adequate amount of heating. To choose only small heaters that produce plenty of heat, we calculated the wattage of a small space heater per volume (watts per sq inch). The most compact space heaters will be as small as possible and will produce as much heat as possible. Example: Big heaters produce less than 2 watts per sq inch. The most compact small space heaters produce at least 4 watts per sq inch (evident in the comparison table).
- Lightweight: Portable. Obviously, small heaters should be light and portable. You should be able to move them pick them up and place them on an office desk, for example, without straining a muscle. Standard space heaters weigh 5 lbs or more. The best small portable space heaters should weigh 3 lbs at most and be plug-in models. Small electric heaters are truly portable if you can just plug them in into a standard 120V outlet.
Based on all these considerations, we can adequately pick the best small room heaters. Below, you will find the full list of the 8 best small heaters. We also point out the specific spec that a certain heater excels at.
Small space heaters are fairly cheap. Even the best electric small room heaters cost about $30; you can buy 1 or several of them with a small budget.
Note: Be sure to check the comparison table (we compare all the relevant specs like wattage, coverage area, volume, weight, etc.) and individual reviews of the small heaters below to list:
List Of Best 8 Small Electric Heaters (+ Comparison Table + Reviews)
- Best Small Electric Heater: Focondot Personal Heater (Most Compact; 6.34 W/sq inch)
- Best Small Heater For Bathroom: Andily Small Space Heater (Highest Heating Output; 1,500 W)
- Superb Small Radiant Bedroom Heater: Teioe Mini Space Heater (Portable Radiant Heater; With Leather Handle)
- Best Small Ceramic Heater: F.EASY.D Mini Ceramic Heater (With Fast PTC Ceramic Heating)
- Absolutely Smallest Space Heater: Uanax Small Electronic Heater (Only 82 sq inches Volume)
- Great Small Room Heater: Amazon Basics Mini Heater (For Up To 170 sq ft Rooms)
- Also Great Small Portable Heater: Bright Town Mini Heater (Very Robust Small Heater)
- Most Lightweight Space Heater: Honeywell HeatBud (Only 1.05 lbs Weight)
1. Best Small Electric Heater: Focondot Personal Heater (Most Compact; 6.34 W/sq inch)
|Heating Power:||900 W (3,071 BTU)|
|Room Coverage:||Up to 310 sq ft|
|Dimensions (LxWxH):||6.6 x 4.25 x 5 inches|
|Total Volume:||142 sq inches|
|Watts Per Sq Inch:||6.34 W/sq inch|
The most important specification you should be looking at is the ‘Watts Per Sq Inch’. That is a measure of how compact a small heater is. With 6.34 W per square inch of full volume, the Focondot is the most compact small electric space heater.
To achieve that compact heating, the Focondot has to be both:
- As small as possible. Focondot heater is very small; it has 6.6 x 4.25 x 5 inches dimensions (that’s a size of a small cardboard box). Its full volume is only 142 sq inches; it’s about 10x smaller than standard-sized space heaters.
- As powerful as possible. Focondot heater has a 900W rated electric input; this can produce (at 100% efficiency) 3,071 BTU of heating output. For comparison, standard heaters that are about 10x bigger by volume run on 1,500W
Here’s the outtake: Focondot is a very small and very powerful heater – the perfect combo if you’re looking for the best small room heaters. With, 3,071 BTU output, it has a coverage of up to 310 sq ft (10 BTU per sq ft supplemental heating) and it has heat 10×10 rooms (up to 100 sq ft) on its own (30 BTU per sq ft).
On top of this, it’s lightweight (1.43 lbs) which makes it quite a portable small space heater. It’s also a plug-in model; you can plug it in any standard 120V outlet.
All in all, the Focondot is the best small electric heater. It has the highest heating output for its size, its tiny, portable (you can put it on a desk, or move it into any room you’re in without problems), and it’s available for only about $30:
2. Best Small Heater For Bathroom: Andily Small Space Heater (Highest Heating Output; 1,500 W)
|Heating Power:||1,500 W (5,118 BTU)|
|Room Coverage:||Up to 510 sq ft|
|Dimensions (LxWxH):||6.2 x 4.74 x 8.3 inches|
|Total Volume:||244 sq inches|
|Watts Per Sq Inch:||6.15 W/sq inch|
The best small heaters for bathrooms should be both small and powerful. That’s because the air in the bathroom has higher relative humidity and it’s thus harder to heat up. Andily heater is the smallest bathroom heater that runs on 1,500W.
Small heaters run on anywhere from 250W to 1,500W. With the 1,500W power input, the Andily heater can produce 5,118 BTU of heating output. That pretty much makes it the most powerful small room heater, perfect for bathrooms where the heating requirements are, on average, higher.
On its own, the Andily heater can heat up spaces up to 170 sq ft (that includes 10×10, 12×12, 14×14 rooms. Here it will produce about 30 BTU per sq ft. If you want to use it for supplemental heating – 10 BTU per sq ft – it has total coverage of up to 510 sq ft.
Andily is very compact. Its total volume is 244 sq inches (6.2 x 4.74 x 8.3 inches dimensions) and it has a powerful heating output. It can produce 6.15W worth of heat per every square inch of its total volume.
Given it produces an above-average amount of heat for a small heater, it is also the heaviest of the small heaters. It does weigh 2.64 lbs. Still, that’s lightweight compared to 5+ lbs standard heaters.
In short, if you really want to use a very small heater to heat up a small room, the Andily heater is the most adequate choice. It’s a small yet powerful heater which makes it perfect for use in bathrooms. It’s available for about $40:
3. Superb Small Radiant Bedroom Heater: Teioe Mini Space Heater (Portable Radiant Heater; With Leather Handle)
|Heating Power:||800 W (2,730 BTU)|
|Room Coverage:||Up to 270 sq ft|
|Dimensions (LxWxH):||8.3 x 5.5 x 3.1 inches|
|Total Volume:||142 sq inches|
|Watts Per Sq Inch:||5.63 W/sq inch|
Teioe mini space heater is another case altogether. People fall in love with how it looks; we fall in love with the specs. This is a small desktop heater that can produce 2,730 BTU of heating output and it is smaller than an average-sized desk lamp. That’s quite outstanding.
As you can see from the dimensions (or the photo), the Teioe desktop heater is longer than your average mini heater; it measures 8.3 inches in length. But that’s only because it’s more portable than other small heaters, and we’re not talking about the 1.60 lbs weight.
Teioe is longer because it has to fit the leathered strap on top. With even the smallest space heaters, you have to grab the whole unit; you can accidentally grip it at the heater parts and burn your hands. Not with Teioe; here you just grab the strap and transport it from your desk to your nightstand, for example, very easily.
With the 800W power input, the Teioe can adequately heat you (personal heating) or small rooms up to 90 sq ft on its own. On top of that, with 2,730 BTU heating output, it can provide supplemental heating (10 BTU per sq ft) to spaces with up to 270 sq ft square footage.
With the combo of radiant heating (low risk of overheating) and quiet operation, the Teioe heat is the best small heater for the bedroom. You can literally place it on your nightstand (8.3 x 5.5 x 3.1 inches dimensions) and leave it on throughout the night:
4. Best Small Ceramic Heater: F.EASY.D Mini Ceramic Heater (With Fast PTC Ceramic Heating)
|Heating Power:||1,000 W (3,412 BTU)|
|Room Coverage:||Up to 340 sq ft|
|Dimensions (LxWxH):||7.5 x 4 x 7.1 inches|
|Total Volume:||213 sq inches|
|Watts Per Sq Inch:||4.96 W/sq inch|
F.EASY.D heater is an interesting one. It’s very difficult to make a small ceramic heater that can provide sizable heating output. F.EASY.D small ceramic heater is one of a small number of ceramic heaters that can generate more than 4W worth of heat per sq inch of its total volume; quite an achievement.
Ceramic heaters are usually larger because you need a large ceramic surface to transition the heat generated by the heater to the indoor air. The ingenious (and quite appealing) design of the F.EASY.D heater with PTC high heat transfer ceramic enables it to generate up to 3,412 BTU of heating output.
The use of PTC ceramic is the secret part. It’s only due to its high heat transfer capabilities that the size of the F.EASY.D heater can be kept small. This is a 7.5 x 4 x 7.1 inches heater with 213 sq inches volume; that’s outstanding.
On top of that, even as a ceramic heater, it can achieve almost 5W per sq inch worth of heating output (4.96 W/sq inch, to be exact). That’s outstanding.
Ceramic heaters, in general, are safer than forced-air heaters. The smaller the heater, the safer it generally is.
All in all, F.EASY.D is a uniquely designed ceramic heater. This design – together with the use of PCT ceramic – enables for the creation of the best small ceramic space heater on the market. The F.EASY.D heater costs about $40:
5. Absolutely Smallest Space Heater: Uanax Small Electronic Heater (Only 82 sq inches Volume)
|Heating Power:||400 W (1,365 BTU)|
|Room Coverage:||Up to 140 sq ft|
|Dimensions (LxWxH):||6.8 x 4.3 x 2.8 inches|
|Total Volume:||82 sq inches|
|Watts Per Sq Inch:||4.88 W/sq inch|
Small, smaller, the smallest. We consider every space heater below 1,000 sq inches small. All the very small space heaters here are between 100 and 250 sq inches in size; with one exception – the tiny Uanax heater. With only 82 sq inches total volume, the Uanax is absolutely the smallest tiniest space heater on the market.
Here are these incredible dimensions: 6.8 x 4.3 x 2.8 inches. If you calculate the total volume, it comes to 82 sq inches. It’s just absurd how small this heater is.
How can such a small heater provide any sizable heater? Well, compared to other small heaters, the tiny Uanax heater provides only 400W worth of heat. That’s 1,365 BTU of heating output in total. That might be enough to provide supplemental heating to spaces up to 140 sq ft but, honestly, the Uanax is mostly used as one of the best personal space heaters.
You put it on a desk and keep it close. In such a way, you feel the full 1,365 BTU of heating output. Because it’s so small, it’s also very quiet and it takes a minimal amount of electricity to run it (0.4 kWh per hour while running at 100% heating output; that’s basically a 5 cent per hour heater).
All in all, if you want the smallest possible heater, you can choose Uanax and use it as a personal desktop heater:
6. Great Small Room Heater: Amazon Basics Mini Heater (For Up To 170 sq ft Rooms)
|Heating Power:||500 W (1,706 BTU)|
|Room Coverage:||Up to 170 sq ft|
|Dimensions (LxWxH):||5.87 x 3.2 x 6 inches|
|Total Volume:||113 sq inches|
|Watts Per Sq Inch:||4.42 W/sq inch|
It has to be said that the Amazon Basics brand is hotly debated. Some people love the reliability of the brand, others are of an opinion that it’s just a marketing trick. We stick to the specs here and the specs of the small Amazon Basics heater are quite amazing.
This is a tiny 500W heater that can produce 1,706 BTU of heating output. That’s enough to heat up spaces up to 170 sq ft with 10 BTU per sq ft heating.
It’s quite interesting to see just how small this heater is. With 5.87 x 3.2 x 6 inches dimensions, it has a total volume of only 113 sq inches and is thus one of the smallest electric heaters on the market.
On top of that, it’s very portable and compact. It weighs only 1.43 lbs and has a 4.42 watt per sq inch output.
The best of all is the price. With below $25 price tag, the small Amazon Basics 500W heater is the cheapest small heater with solid specs on the market:
7. Also Great Small Portable Heater: Bright Town Mini Heater (Very Robust Small Heater)
|Heating Power:||400 W (1,365 BTU)|
|Room Coverage:||Up to 140 sq ft|
|Dimensions (LxWxH):||6.3 x 3.15 x 6.3 inches|
|Total Volume:||125 sq inches|
|Watts Per Sq Inch:||3.20 W/sq inch|
Bright Town heater is another example of a small electric heater. This is a 400W heater, capable of producing up to 1,365 BTU of heating output. Out of all the mini heaters here, the Bright Town heater is the most robust one.
It’s quite interesting to see that Bright Town heater has all the required specs for a small heater but it’s not all that popular. For example, it has 6.3 x 3.15 x 6.3 inches dimensions for a total volume of 125 sq inches. It even has a 1.47 lbs weight and quite a substantial 3.20 W/sq inch output; quite compact.
It’s the looks. The Bright Town heater has this orange robust look. It is a very robust small heater but that orange look is not flattering at all. If you’re looking for a small heater for the office, you don’t really want to put something like Bright Town heater on your desk.
It’s a $30 small heater and it makes sense to be used in a small garage or workshop. With the lack of the interior design appeal, this might be a good small electric heater, but it’s definitely not the most popular one:
8. Most Lightweight Space Heater: Honeywell HeatBud (Only 1.05 lbs Weight)
|Heating Power:||250 W (853 BTU)|
|Room Coverage:||Up to 90 sq ft|
|Dimensions (LxWxH):||5 x 4 x 7.75 inches|
|Total Volume:||155 sq inches|
|Watts Per Sq Inch:||1.61 W/sq inch|
Honeywell HeatBud is an interesting attempt by Honeywell to create the best and smallest personal heater. And you have to admit that Honeywell HeatBud looks quite interesting. It barely weighs more than a pound (1.05 lbs, to be exact) but it has one major flaw: the 250W power input.
Without a doubt, the Honeywell HeatBud is the most lightweight space heater on the market. To cut all that weight, Honeywell had to cut some corners, however.
The overwhelming problem is the 250W heater. 250W can produce less than 1,000 BTU. That’s not a sizable heating output; it can barely heat a person if that person is very close to the heater. That also means that this can be solemnly used as a desktop personal heater; not a small room heater.
It is appealing, yes, and small as well. However, the compactness of this heater is far below the average of other best small heaters here. Honeywell HeatBud can produce only 1.61 W/sq inch. The most compact small heaters can produce more than 4W per sq inch of total volume.
It does have a low below $30 cost, but given the very low heating output, you will probably need at least 2 of them on your desk to heat you adequately.
All in all, Honeywell HeatBud is a good idea but they should pack at least 100% more power into this small buddy:
This was our analysis of the smallest electric heaters on the market. Hope everybody finds a small heater best for their needs.