The energy content of natural gas is usually expressed in MMBTU. The volume of natural gas used (on the gas meter) is expressed in cubic meters (m3). How do we figure out m3 from MMBTU, or MMBTU from m3? We can quite easily convert MMBTU to m3 and m3 to MMBTU manually, our using our MMBTU To m3 Calculator (1st calculator) and m3 To MMBTU Calculator (2nd calculator); with accompanying conversion charts.
Let’s look at both of these units first:
- MMBTU stands for Million Metric British Thermal Units. This is a unit for heat content equal to 1,000,000 BTU. Example: A 100,000 BTU gas furnace running for 10 hours will produce 1 MMBTU of heat output.
- m3 or Cubic Meter is a basic unit for the volume of natural gas. The volume of natural gas (expressed in m3) will determine the MMBTU output, and visa versa.
To adequately convert m3 to MMBTU and MMBTU to m3, we need only this one piece of information from the US Energy Information Administration:
“Average heat content of natural gas delivered to consumers is about 1037 BTU per cubic foot.”
First, we need to convert 1037 BTU to MMBTU and cubic foot (CF) to a cubic meter (m3) like this:
- 1037 BTU is equal to 0.001037 MMBTU.
- 1 cubic foot is equal to 0.02833 m3.
If we do a bit of math, we see that:
- 1 m3 of natural gas is equal to 0.0366 MMBTU.
- 1 MMBTU is equal to 27.3192 m3.
That means that we can use these two MMBTU to m3 and m3 to MMBTU formulas:
m3 = MMBTU × 27.3192
MMBTU = m3 × 0.0366
Here are two quick examples of how to use these equations:
- We want to get 12 MMBTU of heat content. How many m3 of gas do we need for that? Just insert the figures in the 1st equation like this: m3 (12 MMBTU) = 12 MMBTU × 27.3192 =327.83 m3. We see that 12 MMBTU is equal to 327.83 m3 of natural gas.
- How many MMBTU are in 5800 m3 of natural gas? We insert the 5800 m3 into the 2nd equation like this: MMBTU (5800 m3) = 5800 m3 × 0.0366 = 212.28 MMBTU. As you can see, 5800 m3 of natural gas is equal to 212.28 MMBTU.
To avoid making these conversions by hand, we have designed two easy-to-use calculators and conversion charts:
- 1st Calculator converts MMBTU to m3. You insert MMBTU, and you will get m3 automatically. We have also converted 1 MMBTU to 1000 MBTU into m3 and summarized the results in an MMBTU to m3 conversion chart you will find after the 1st calculator.
- 2nd Calculator converts m3 to MMBTU (opposite as the 1st calculator). You insert m3 of natural gas, and you will get MMBTU heat content automatically. We have also converted 1 m3 to 100,000 m3 into MMBTU and summarized the results in an m3 to MMBTU conversion chart you will find after the 2nd calculator.
Here are both calculators and the charts:
MMBTU To m3 Calculator (1st Calculator)
Just insert MMBTU, and you will get m3 automatically (you can play around with the numbers to see how the m3 output changes):
Here is how this conversion calculator works:
Let’s say that you want to know how many m3 of natural gas you need to get 100 MMBTU of heat content. Just slide the slider to ‘100’ and you get the result: For 100 MMBTU of heat content, you will need 2731.92 m3 of natural gas.
This is just one example. Here is the full conversion chart with 1 MMBTU to 1000 MMBTU of heat content converted into cubic meters of natural gas (m3):
MMBTU To m3 Conversion Chart
|MMBTU:||Cubic Meters Of Natural Gas (m3):|
|1 MMBTU||27.32 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|2 MMBTU||54.64 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|3 MMBTU||81.96 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|4 MMBTU||109.28 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|5 MMBTU||136.60 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|10 MMBTU||273.19 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|15 MMBTU||409.79 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|20 MMBTU||546.38 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|25 MMBTU||682.98 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|30 MMBTU||819.58 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|35 MMBTU||956.17 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|40 MMBTU||1092.77 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|45 MMBTU||1229.36 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|50 MMBTU||1365.96 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|60 MMBTU||1639.15 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|70 MMBTU||1912.34 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|80 MMBTU||2185.54 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|90 MMBTU||2458.73 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|100 MMBTU||2731.92 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|120 MMBTU||3278.30 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|140 MMBTU||3824.69 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|160 MMBTU||4371.07 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|180 MMBTU||4917.46 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|200 MMBTU||5463.84 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|300 MMBTU||8195.76 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|400 MMBTU||10,927.68 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|500 MMBTU||13,659.60 m3 Of Natural Gas|
|1000 MMBTU||27,319.20 m3 Of Natural Gas|
With this chart, you can just read off how many m3 of natural gas you need for certain MMBTU of heat content. For example, how many m3 is 180 MMBTU? Just check the chart; 180 MMBTU is equal to 4917.46 m3 of natural gas.
Let’s look at a similar calculator + chart for the inverse conversion; m3 to MMBTU:
m3 To MMBTU Calculator (2nd Calculator)
Here you insert m3 of natural gas, and you will get MMBTU automatically:
Alright, let’s say we want to convert 1000 m3 into MMBTU. Just slide the slider to ‘1000’ and you will get the result: 1000 m3 is equal to 36.60 MMBTU.
Here is the full conversion chart for 1 m3 to 100,000 m3 converted into MMBTU:
m3 To MMBTU Conversion Chart
|Cubic Meters Of Natural Gas (m3):||MMBTU:|
|1 m3 Of Natural Gas||0.0366 MMBTU|
|5 m3 Of Natural Gas||0.183 MMBTU|
|10 m3 Of Natural Gas||0.37 MMBTU|
|20 m3 Of Natural Gas||0.73 MMBTU|
|30 m3 Of Natural Gas||1.10 MMBTU|
|40 m3 Of Natural Gas||1.46 MMBTU|
|50 m3 Of Natural Gas||1.83 MMBTU|
|100 m3 Of Natural Gas||3.66 MMBTU|
|200 m3 Of Natural Gas||7.32 MMBTU|
|300 m3 Of Natural Gas||10.98 MMBTU|
|400 m3 Of Natural Gas||14.64 MMBTU|
|500 m3 Of Natural Gas||18.30 MMBTU|
|1000 m3 Of Natural Gas||36.60 MMBTU|
|1500 m3 Of Natural Gas||54.90 MMBTU|
|2000 m3 Of Natural Gas||73.20 MMBTU|
|2500 m3 Of Natural Gas||91.50 MMBTU|
|3000 m3 Of Natural Gas||109.80 MMBTU|
|3500 m3 Of Natural Gas||128.10 MMBTU|
|4000 m3 Of Natural Gas||146.40 MMBTU|
|4500 m3 Of Natural Gas||164.70 MMBTU|
|5000 m3 Of Natural Gas||183.00 MMBTU|
|6000 m3 Of Natural Gas||219.60 MMBTU|
|7000 m3 Of Natural Gas||256.20 MMBTU|
|8000 m3 Of Natural Gas||292.80 MMBTU|
|9000 m3 Of Natural Gas||329.40 MMBTU|
|10,000 m3 Of Natural Gas||366.00 MMBTU|
|100,000 m3 Of Natural Gas||3660.00 MMBTU|
With this calculated table, you can now just read off the numbers. Example: How much heat content is there in 50 m3 of natural gas? Simple. You can just read it off this chart: 50 m3 is equal to 1.83 MMBTU.
Hopefully, these MMBTU to m3 and m3 to MMBTU calculators and charts illustrate well how to make this conversion. If you have any trouble converting between these two units, you can use the comment section below, give us some numbers, and we will help you out.
Table of Contents